If something goes wrong and a backup process fails we will send you an email notification. We send notifications daily at 22:00 UTC with all failures in the previous 24 hours.
Once backup is failed our Support Team gets notification as well. Is the issue is not related to storage, the team starts investigation as soon as possible and reports you their findings by email.
- All emails and email notification are sent to a GitHub account primary email address.
- Email address for failed backup notifications can be changed in
Why can a backup fail?
A backup can fail for various reasons, almost all of them fall into four categories:
1. Storage issue
The issue related to storage is the most frequent cause of backup failures. Usually, Cloudback loses access to your storage and is unable to upload an archive. Below are typical situations:
shared signaturehas expired
- Storage configuration has been changed, but Cloudback config was not updated
- Storage provider went offline
In order to troubleshoot a storage issue please verify your storage settings in the repository card using the
Edit storage button:
2. GitHub account issue
There may be two types of issues related to your GitHub account:
- Cloudback App installation may be suspended or uninstalled from your account. If the application is uninstalled, Cloudback cannot access your data so backup fails.
- Repository may be deleted or inaccessible to Cloudback App
- Your GitHub account may be locked or suspended. It is rare but happens. Please check your account is accessible.
3. Cloudback issue
Sometimes backup software itself can fail. It happens and our Cloudback Support Team is in charge to recover the backup, analyze a root cause and implement all necessary changes to prevent it from happening in the future. Please contact us if you think it is the case.
4. GitHub outage
GitHub itself may go offline, sometimes it happens and may last a few hours. Cloudback will try to backup 6 times in 6 hours. If nothing works a backup will fail. There is a
GitHub Status page where you can check the
API Requests operational status.
Notifications on a successful backup
As for now, we support failure notifications only. Please let us know if you need daily notifications of all your successful backups and we will consider implementing this feature.